Thursday, March 15, 2012

From Cave Drawings to the Document Camera

I found this really cool video on Youtube that shows the advancement of technology in education over time.

This video is a visual timeline of the history of technology in education. Times have changed drastically from the cave age to the interactive age. Although I cannot relate to anything from the cave age, I do remember growing up in the 1990s and using the chalkboard and paper books. My elementary and junior high school teachers used the chalkboard and television frequently for lessons. I can remember watching movies on video cassette as both a recreational activity and part of a lesson.Sometimes, we even listened to recordings via cassette. In the state of New York, there are required state exams that students of certain grade levels have to take in order to continue on to the next level. There was a reading comprehension section that had a listening part, where students would listen to a recording via cassette and then have to answer questions about the recording after.
During high school, things became more advanced. I was introduced to the computer, the whiteboard, and the internet. High school teachers began assigning work that involved these three new advancements. We would sometimes use these advancements in the classroom to make learning more interactive. High school and college were very similar experiences for me. More of my work required the use of the internet and computer. Instructors required work to be typed. Blackboard and other Internet programs also played a big role in both my undergraduate and graduate careers. Currently, I have two online classes and one in class. My class that meets also has a huge online requirement to, as we complete all assignments online. This is very convenient to me because I can complete assignments anywhere at anytime, whereas I can remember staying at school after regular hours during my younger years to complete assignments. That is one thing I do not miss at all. Everything is available online and I enjoy using all of these technological devices and look forward to what is to come.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed that video! Wow I didn't realize the kids actually used blackboards at the desks too. Also those SMART boards are really cool! Kids will probably be given iPads at school in the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jasylnn,

    I like the topic you picked. I am interested in knowing more about it because it's crazy how fast technology can change. I remember the days of only needing a Number 2 Pencil and some looseleaf. That's all out the window now with everything on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Jaslynn! There has definitely been a drastic change in the technology in the classroom. I remember when teachers would walk around with their paper grade books with the grids now they have a computer with Microsoft excel to enter in grades which can be calculated for them as well. Look at the video also reminded me of the chalk board on wheels, that was oh so long ago. Times has definitely changed but it changed for for the better of our education.

    ReplyDelete